Jacksonville Historical Culture identifies 22 endangered structures | Jax Day-to-day History | Jacksonville Day-to-day Document

Table of Contents Eartha M.M. White Youth Recreation Center, 4850 Moncrief StreetMount Olive AME Church,

The Historic Web pages Committee of the Jacksonville Historical Society unveiled its 2021 listing of Jacksonville’s endangered historic properties.

“Historic sites and houses matter to Jacksonville’s people today. When historic properties – such as the Eagle Laundry Setting up, the Doro Fixtures Business creating, and the Moulton & Kyle Funeral Property in the previous year, for instance – are demolished by fire, forces of mother nature or male, we erase another section of the tradition, background, and life stories that type our Jacksonville,” stated Alan Bliss, historic modern society CEO, in a information launch.

“Historic locations lend authenticity to their surroundings, generating us all a lot more invested as citizens. In addition, facts proves that historic preservation provides price by strengthening financial development. Recognizing this, the Jacksonville Historic Culture advocates for preservation via its yearly Endangered Historic Qualities record.” 

Seventeen structures along with 5 buildings owned by Duval County Community Colleges designed this year’s once-a-year endangered checklist:

Eartha M.M. White Youth Recreation Center, 4850 Moncrief Street

Designed in 1938 as a residence and museum in the Bungalow architectural design and style, the building provided two adjacent columns with Doric capitals, reportedly rescued from a demolished Downtown developing.

The structure features pitched gable roofs, the use of indigenous resources these as coquina, and rounded columns.

The original composition was expanded at least 3 times, with the greatest and most current in 1972 to present a recreation area for the Boys Club.

In 1993, the town Arranging Division and the Jacksonville Historic Preservation Fee identified that the house fulfills the bare minimum two out of the seven Nationwide Sign-up standards for landmarking: That it was associated with a individual or individuals who ended up sizeable in the development of the metropolis, point out or country – in this case, Eartha Mary Magdalene White and its suitability for preservation or restoration.

It also is one of the couple of properties and houses remaining from the period when Moncrief Springs was a common vacation resort for the African American group.

Mount Olive AME Church, 841 Franklin St.

The 1st sanctuary of Mount Olive AME Church was a small wooden constructing constructed on the web-site in 1887, struggling with on Pippin Road.

By 1920 the congregation experienced outgrown the initial framework. A.L. Lewis, the developing committee chairman, selected options drawn by Richard Brown, Jacksonville’s initial African American architect, who died in 1948 at age 94.

Brown built a creating of concrete blocks, coarse textured on the basement amount, tough-slice to simulate quarry stone on the higher two stories. The façade is dominated by a few tapered columns on the portico at the main entrance.

Victorian duplexes, 316 and 320 Jefferson St.

The twin duplexes were crafted in 1906, according to the Duval County House Appraiser.

Demonstrating the influence of the Queen Anne design, the structures attribute angled two-tier balconies and octagonal cupolas, gable roofs with attractive shingles, one siding, plaster inside walls and smooth pine flooring. The duplexes are owned by the Clara White Mission.

1st Baptist Church Sunday Faculty Creating, 125 W. Church St.

In 1926, the congregation of the Initially Baptist Church began development of the 6-tale creating.

Developed by Tennessee architect Reuben Harrison Hunt, it was mentioned to be the 2nd-major Sunday school building in the environment at that time. The higher tale features ornate terra cotta ornaments, basket weave-patterned brickwork and paired home windows within larger sized arches. 

In 1938, the setting up was marketed to the Gulf Lifetime Insurance coverage Co., which preserved it as its headquarters until eventually it moved into a 27-story office environment tower on the Southbank in 1967.

Very first Baptist Church repurchased the setting up and has applied for its demolition to establish an entrance plaza for the church’s historic sanctuary following doorway.

Universal Marion (JEA) Setting up, 21 W. Church St.

Constructed in 1963 and designed by Ketchum & Sharp, a New York architectural company, its authentic major tenant was the Universal Marion Co. of Miami. Ivey’s Section Shop occupied much of the two lower flooring.

The 19-story skyscraper was the tallest setting up on the Northbank at the time of its design and second-best in the metropolis just after the Prudential Building. It featured a revolving restaurant on the prime ground called The Embers.

Its present occupant, JEA, is making a new headquarters.

Article-Civil War cottage, 328 Chelsea St.

A large contingent of African American Union troopers came to Jacksonville in 1864 in the course of the town’s fourth profession throughout the Civil War. A garrison of white and black Union troopers was stationed in Brooklyn for several several years following the war as part of a navy profession to restore purchase.

In 1868, Miles Price tag platted Brooklyn and began selling lots. Some of the Union veterans remained or returned to live in the community and had been joined by previous slaves, generating the northwestern portion of Brooklyn a black household neighborhood.

LaVilla shotgun homes, Jefferson Road

These “shotgun” homes were beneath construction around the Cleaveland Fiber Manufacturing unit when the Terrific Fire of May 3, 1901, destroyed most of Jacksonville. They ended up broken by the fireplace but survived.

Performing individuals lived in the a person-tale residences in which one could shoot a shotgun straight down the long inside hallway and out the entrance door.

The town invested additional than $100,000 to go the homes to Jefferson Road. 

Dr. Horace Drew Mansion, 245 W. Third St.

Dr. Horace Drew, a medical professional and grandson of Jacksonville pioneer Columbus Drew, was the initially proprietor and occupant of this Springfield house crafted about 1909. 

The style borrows things from the Tudor Revival, Queen Anne and Spanish Colonial Revival designs.

245 West 3rd St LLC is restoring the framework overlooking Klutho Park.

Claude Nolan Cadillac Making, 937 N. Primary St.

Crafted in 1912, the Prairie-fashion constructing was developed by architect Henry Klutho for Claude Nolan, who begun this Cadillac dealership in 1907.

In addition to founding the to start with car organization in Jacksonville, Nolan is credited with originating the strategy of advertising cars on installments in 1910, a exercise before long adopted by the business.

Originally a Cadillac showroom, the setting up had a projecting cornice, large plate glass windows and horizontal and vertical lines. Despite the fact that a reworking in 1948 obscured the initial facade, the simple composition of the original setting up is intact underneath.

JAX Brewing Business producing plant, 1429 W. 16th St.

In 1913, German-born William Ostner, a brewer from St. Louis, moved to Jacksonville to start a brewery along West 16th Avenue, a couple blocks from existing-day Stanton School Preparatory Large College.

It was the second brewery in the point out and the very last brewery to open in the U.S. just before Prohibition.

Aged Duval County Armory, 851 N. Industry St.

Concluded in 1916, the armory crafted for neighborhood Countrywide Guard troops was made by architects Talley & Summer time.

The setting up is fortress-like, with towers and parapets and an arched entrance at the centre of the facade. A carved stone shield with the emblem of the Florida Nationwide Guard tops the central pavilion.

The name of the Duval County armory was modified in 1962 to the Maxwell G. Snyder Armory, honoring the commanding normal of the Countrywide Guard’s 48th Armored Division. In 1973, the developing turned the city’s Parks and Recreation Office, now Parks, Recreation and Group Products and services.

In 2010, the division relocated to the Ed Ball Developing, leaving the armory vacant for the first time in its historical past.

Ford Motor Corporation assembly plant, Wambolt Street at the St. Johns River

Finished in 1924, the Ford Motor Company’s assembly plant is on a very long quay that protrudes into the river and is supported by 8,000 piles.

It is 1 of extra than 1,000 structures intended for Henry Ford by Albert Kahn, an internationally regarded industrial architect.

Among the the building’s features are its skylight panels, which increase many hundred feet in length and provide purely natural lighting and warmth to the interior. Also, the sides of the building are produced mainly of glass.

The Ford Motor Enterprise occupied the website until finally the late 1960s and it is in a deteriorated issue.

The constructing is at the very least 200 feet vast and 800 feet long, and data display it at 172,000 sq. toes, earning it a significant industrial building. Its site close to the Sports Intricate can make it a prime applicant for reuse.

Florida Baptist Convention Creating, 218 W. Church St.

Crafted in 1924-25, this was the final Downtown office making built by Henry Klutho. It was the 1st developing of its sort in the country for a state Baptist corporation.

Vacant for nearly 30 yrs, it was bought in 2020 by JWB Real Estate Capital LLC, which plans to transform it to combined-use with business room on the floor ground and residential over.

Snyder Memorial Methodist Church, 226 N. Laura St.

Crafted in 1902-03, Snyder Memorial Methodist Church, throughout from James Weldon Johnson Park, formerly Hemming Park, was one of the first church buildings to be rebuilt after the 1901 fire.

Originally Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, the style and design is an example of Gothic Revival type.

It was made by architect J.H.W. Hawkins and its exterior functions in depth carved stone and stained-glass home windows.

It is owned by the city but has remained vacant for most of the past decade.

Genovar’s Corridor, 644 W. Ashley St.

Sebastian Genovar constructed the building in about 1895 for his grocery organization and afterwards a saloon. Its site at the intersection of Ashley and Jefferson streets was the coronary heart of nightlife for LaVilla’s African American neighborhood for the duration of the 1920s and ’30s jazz period.

About 1931, Wynn’s Lodge opened in the making and was a preferred lodging area for checking out entertainers like Louis Armstrong and Ray Charles.

Now owned by the town, the making has been gutted even though substantially of its unique walls are however intact. 

Wesley Manor (now Westminster Woods), 25 Florida 13

Built by Jacksonville architect Robert Broward, Wesley Manor was the largest fee of his profession and a person of his most revolutionary.

Designed as a senior-residing facility, the unique structures have no need to have for stairs and have functions of art by nearby artists integrated through.

A St. Johns County Planned Unit Growth from 2015 calls for the demolition and substitute of almost all of the Broward structures.

Annie Lytle Community Faculty, 1011 Peninsular Place

Constructed in 1917 and built by architect Rutledge Holmes, Community Faculty No. 4 ignored Riverside Park just before building of the Interstates 95 and 10 interchange isolated the setting up.

The dominant architectural attribute of the school is a neoclassic pedimented portico supported by Doric columns at the entrance.

Vacant given that the 1970s, the creating has been threatened by demolition quite a few situations even while it has been declared a community historic landmark.

Duval County General public Universities structures

The Jacksonville Historical Modern society integrated a exclusive category of historic and architecturally important community educational institutions planned for demolition.

They are the Annie R. Morgan, Brentwood, Henry F. Kite, Ortega and Riverview elementary colleges and Matthew Gilbert Center School.

Photos are from the archives of the Jacksonville Historical Culture, from the Wayne W. Wooden Selection, from Florida Memory: Point out Library and Archives of Florida, by courtesy of Judy Davis, by courtesy of Clara White Mission, by courtesy of Mount Olive A.M.E., by courtesy of the Metropolis of Jacksonville by George Lansing Taylor Jr. for the University of North Florida Digital Commons, Wayne W. Wood, TheJaxsonMag.com, and by Mark Krancer, Kram Kran Photo. 

For much more info, visit  jaxhistory.org